Thursday, September 27, 2012

I've gotten fat.

Yesterday was a strange day. It was the first day in weeks I had not thought about my fat bike I had on order. I was too busy getting ready to move again and I was also studying for my first physics test. My girlfriend and I were just packing away when I got a phone call from work, they had my bike and it was ready. This call came in 1 hour before my physics test. D'oh! My seat post clamp on the Cross Check was broken so I couldn't ride my bike to school, it was only the second time this semester that I had not ridden to school. So I drove to school, knocked out my physics test, went home and picked up Ann and then headed out on some errands. The last errand was picking up the Mukluk 2. It was beautiful! 

Getting ready to load the beast.

I really need to get a roof rack and mod it to fit this guy.

So I got it home and it was dark and I was exhausted from a long day so we relaxed and watched the Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie; hilarious.

I woke up early and sped over to Elm Creek Park to run some single track. I was making decent time and clearing all the obstacles and then in the part where it is kind of flat but mostly rolling hills I skidded into a corner and the alternator drop out on the side with the brake shifted. The tire was rubbing against the frame. Needless to say I was not pleased.

You can see how the drop out is maxed out to the rear.

So I had no tool to fix the thing because I was too anxious to ride and didn't bother packing a tool kit. So I ended up bashing the drop out against a tree to shift it back into place, I then proceeded to ride back to the parking lot very slowly. After almost taking out a family a deer I made it back to my car where I had a tool to fix the problem with the drop out. I wanted to do another loop but I had somewhere to be so I had to take off. Only about 6 miles for the first ride, not terrible but not what I wanted at all.

I ran some errands after the ride and then ended up stopping at work to return some shoes and put together a tool kit for the Mukluk. So I ended up picking up a spare tube, a seat pack, and a quick stick. I work at a bike shop so I have a ton of extra Allen wrench tools and I also already had a "big air". Kit complete. I also remembered seeing that Gas Tanks from Revelate Designs were back in stock at QBP so I ordered one of those up. I am excited for that. I picked up a Thomson seat post for the Cross Check and life is good again.

I have a wedding to attend this weekend in which I am the best man so that will be consuming a lot of my time, however I will get a ride in tomorrow morning before all the chaos starts. I know right now I will not be interested in swapping pedals out between the Cross Check and the Mukluk so I will need another pair of those at some point, other than that my only complaint on the Mukluk is the shifters, they are probably the weakest link. I would rather have primo shifters than great derailleurs  However, I love the bike so I don't know why I am even attempting to portray otherwise.

I am excited for tomorrow and the future for this fat bike. Already got another ride planned for next week with a guy from work, I might also try to do the river bottom ride with work mates next Friday.


No comments: