Monday, November 5, 2012

It's been one of those weeks...

Holy shit. What a week.

On Tuesday I said screw everything I'm going for a nice ride. So I went out for a couple hours and had a really fun and relaxing ride. Saw a golden eagle but couldn't snap a shot of him. Then I ran into this fellow:


I also found this:

and I got some "rad" air off it.

It was a ton of fun. I cannot put my finger on it exactly but something about the river bottoms between 35W and Cedar really make me happy.

I don't even remember when but my 45Nrth Dillinger studded fat bike tires showed up. For what they are, they are pretty dang light. I think that for what I have planned for them, they will work out fabulously. 

Dillinger, 45 Nrth, 45Nrth Dillinger, Fat Bike, Fat Bike Studded Tire, Studded Tire, 45 Nrth Studded Tire, 45 Nrth Studded Dillinger
45Nrth Dillinger

So many things have happened this week that I am just emotionally drained. The best thing to do in those kind of situations for me is to go on a super long ride. So I planned on doing a century on Friday. It was a disaster.

My feet were totally frozen before an hour had even passed. I could feel the cleat just draining the heat from my foot, so I put on the neoprene shoe covers. They did absolutely nothing. A few miles later my feet were totally numb. I was stubborn though and kept onward. I kept trucking for a bit and was okay because of the increase in body heat.  


At mile 32 I took a rest and started considering turning around... again I failed to do this. I should have, but I didn't. So I kept going and made it to Water Town on the Luce Line State Trail. I needed to stop to get water and such so I did and when I got back on the bike all of my motivation had been drained. My knees were screaming because of the cold and my love handles were frozen solid too. So I pushed on to mile 40 and then turned around and started heading back. I had to stop a bunch of time because the cold was just tearing it out of me. Next thing I know it is dark. So I kept going super slow in the dark for about ten miles then I ended up having to get a ride home. I was completely shot. It is time to reevaluate my cold weather gear. We just got offered an employee purchase deal from Gore Bike Wear and I ordered a few items so that will be nice, but for now my riding is going to be a bit limited. I am also going to have to switch over to platform pedals because the cleats just act as a heat sink and it killed my feet. 

I'm hoping to get a few rides in this week. We'll see. I certainly need them.

No comments: