Sunday, January 5, 2014

Confidence

I am no stranger to winter biking. I have been at it for about three years and I still learn something every time I go for a ride. No mater how many rides I have done it seems like every time winter rolls back around there is a period where I feel like I have to relearn everything. Granted it comes back a lot faster every year but there is still a learning curve.

I remember my first winter of biking. I was pretty nervous and totally under geared. I pretty much tried my best to stay out of the cold my entire high school life and then after that when I joined the Marines I was pretty much always somewhere warm. So for me, winter had this really ominous and unknown feel to it. I did all my research and got myself the essentials. Some studded tires, a nice coat, and boots. The stuff I had was good enough for my first winter, it was 2010, the year that winter never really came. We had very little snow and it never even got that cold. I got my winter biking bearings and started dreaming of a fat bike almost right away. I remember riding, struggling, through the snow with my single speed mountain bike and seeing the fat bike tire tracks and just thinking how much more fun that would be.

The next winter I had my fat bike and there was plenty of snow and cold. I upgraded my winter gear and it worked out really good for me. It helped build my confidence big time. It was cold, but not really cold. Not like this winter. This year I am learning about how to layer. Last year I learned how to ride in adverse conditions. The first year I got my feet wet and discovered it is totally possible. Every time I ride the more confidence I gain.

Working at a bike shop and just being involved with bikes in general I have heard a lot of people express interest in winter biking but they are also nervous and over analyzing everything, much like I did when I first started out. The following are some things I have learned in my three years of biking in the winter that I hope can motivate someone else or at least help answer a few things.

First of all, any bike will work for winter biking. If you ride at your skill level, you won't have any problems. Just know that you will be a bit slower than you are in the summer. More clothing, heavier tires, etc. it all adds up and will slow you down just a bit. Yes, winter is harsh on your bike but you bought it to ride it didn't you? A little bit of care will go a long way in keeping your bike nice and there are plenty of bike shops that would love to give you advice or even offer classes on how to keep your bike in tip top shape.

What's the best (insert product here) for winter biking? The one that works for you is the best one. You know yourself better than anyone else. I'll use the balaclava as an example. When I first started out I knew that I run super hot when I exercise and I hate having something on my face, but I still spent a lot of time looking for a balaclava that would work for me. The answer is that there wasn't nor will there ever be a balaclava that works for me. I've opted for the wrap or on a real cold day I use a balaclava with no face covering. I knew this, but I didn't trust myself. Why? Because sometimes we think things through too much. Trust yourself.

The best way to get into winter biking is just to jump in and do it. Yes, you will not be prepared and you'll have a few cold rides. It is part of the learning process. The more you ride the more you learn and soon you'll have no problem picking out the right gear for the temperature. It takes roughly 30 minutes for exposed skin to get frostbite in 20 degree weather. As long as you are covered up, you may be cold, but you won't face any serious injury.

I lucked out with my first winter, it was really tame. If you are trying to get into winter biking this year you are just unlucky with these awful temps. Stick with it, trust yourself, and just have fun. You will do it and you can do it. There is a huge community of cyclists out there that are all more than happy to talk to you about what works for them or offer advice. Reach out and you will find the answers you are looking for. The more you do it, the more confidence you will gain. The more confidence you have the more fun you will have, that much I can promise.

I would love to hear your stories, concerns, or whatever in the comments.

No comments: