Monday, November 25, 2013

Sunday funday and other adventures

Yesterday saw the coming and going of the first of many Sunday funday fatbike rides. All things considered I think it was a success. Only 4 people showed up, but with the weather and it being the first ride, I think it went well. We had an age gap of about 50 years and everyone was laughing and smiling, you can never lose with those kind of results. It was definitely a little chilly and the wind was pushing back on the way out there, but the clouds parted, the sun came out, and it really turned into a beautiful day for a ride by the river. We rode down to the river bottoms via the low road and then biked out to the Cedar bridge and then biked over to American Blvd and hit up the train. We went our separate ways for the most part but a couple folks rode back to Freewheel with me. I hope we start seeing more people. I think the plan from now on will be to take the train out to American Blvd and then head out from there and we can either head up to 35W and then back toward 494 or what ever everyone is feeling. I had a lot of fun and I need to give a big shout out to those who came out. Thank you!

Photo by Ben Hovland

Photo by Ben Hovland

Photo by Ben Hovland

The gang. Photo by Ben Hovland

I am still super stoked for the Freewheel Winter Bike Expo! We have lined up even more awesome guest speakers including Josh Peterson A.K.A. Death Rider! There will be door prizes and all sorts of other goodies including a band! I can't talk too much about it, but I was there today and the new features are going to be super fun! I highly recommend you pop in whether you want to test out some studded tires, your next fat bike, or just come see some friendly faces. It will be a good time.

In other news I am going camping this weekend. Partly because I love to camp and partly to test out some of my new sleeping gear to see how warm it really is. This is just in time too because Freewheel is planning a winter bike camping trip. Don Clark, a very experienced winter cyclist and camper is going to be leading the adventure, I couldn't be more excited. The location of the camp site will be kept secret, but it will take place the weekend after the bike expo. Don will be giving a talk at the Expo and will show his gear and talk about what to expect.

I also recently signed up for the Minneapolis Fat Bike Loppet. I've always wanted to ride on some of the cross country ski trails... so this should be pretty fun! Also look out for the Freewheel Frozen Frolic, which usually includes 3 fat bike time trials at Murphy plus the Minnetonka Ice Race, we've got a pretty sick beer sponsor this year. Stoked.

December and Janurary should be pretty damn cool. Let's hope we get some snow soon...

Stay warm and keep pedaling.




1 comment:

Death Rider said...

hey man, your going camping this weekend? Any room for another rider/camper ?