Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Time keeps on crawling, crawling, crawling... into the future.

Life has slowed down considerably. School is back in and my time at the shop is done for the year, minus the winter bike expo which I am really looking forward to. My schedule for the semester is really tame and I am excited to have all the extra time to ride and rediscover some of the things I like to do that have fallen by the wayside. It will also give me the needed time to start looking for jobs and a place to live as I will be graduating at the end of this semester. It will be good to be back in Minneapolis, I miss it terribly.

So what is coming up? Well at the end of September the Headwaters 100 is on my calendar, this is up near Itasca. I will be camping out there with some friends for about three days. I may bring the fat bike and do some exploring out in the woods, but if someone car pools with me that won't happen. As the name implies the Headwaters 100 is a century ride. This will be my first century in a couple years. I'm pretty excited, I've got plenty of 60 and 80 mile rides under my belt so I am confident that I will be able to handle it without much issue. I'm probably more excited about camping, I love camping a lot. Something about sleeping outside and just being away from everything really recharges my batteries.

Then in October I've got the Filthy 50. I don't actually know why I signed up for this, gravel does not interest me that much. It seemed like fun at the time. It will be fun though, I'm not too worried. Apparently the course is in the same county as Almanzo, so I am assuming that the route is probably a piece of that ride.

With school back in my thoughts turn to fall, with fall always comes dirt fever. I've been bouncing around the woods out here in Maple Grove with my fat bike. I've got my eye on a new bike however, the El Mariachi Ti. After riding one at the Salsa demo, I think it could easily accommodate everything I want to do on a mountain bike, but weighing in at half what my fat bike weighs. I am still up in the air whether I will pull the trigger on it or not, time will tell. It is a slick looking bike though, that much is for sure.

This photo came from Bike Rumor.

Other than smaller rides that's all that has been going on recently. In the next week or two I am planning to take the DSLR down to the river bottoms on the fat bike and spend the day down there exploring and goofing around. So I should have some fun pictures from that. Stay tuned.

No comments: