Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lake Minnetonka Ice Race

On the 21st I attended the Lake Minnetonka ice race. It was a hoot. I got a little cold at first but warmed up within a lap or so. I got lucky right out of the gate because someone fell right away in the big group which put me out way ahead. I then proceeded to pass people who were falling and just not able to get enough traction on the ice to go fast. I was doing very well, then in the last lap Nate Schuff, who ended up taking first, just blew past me like I wasn't even there, it was insane. I had some people on my heels but they couldn't get the traction in the straights that I could coming out of the turns and I was able to keep the gap fairly big between us. Then I thought I was done and the guy pointed at me when I finished, which I thought meant there was another lap so I kept trucking. When I was about half way around I noticed I was the only person left out there I lapped some people that were going fairly slow and then I finished. I don't know exactly where I was but I know I was in the top five.

Once the results were posted my name was not in the top five. That is okay, it was a pretty loosely organized event and it was also my first race. These things happen. 

All things considered, I had an awesome time.

Bottle neck
The fellow in front of me was bottle necking myself and the other guy behind me at every turn, we finally over came him when he fell, again.

On your mark...
The race start, I was late so I am in the way back.

Aaaaaand... I'm gone.
Myself on the orange bike taking off out of the turn and leaving the rest of the racers trying to bridge the gap.

Doggie
Some cool dogs were there too.