Saturday, December 14, 2013

Overnight at the wreck.

Last night I went camping with Death Rider at the wreck. The wreck is an old abandoned car that has been turned into a fort of sorts. It is pretty awesome, let me tell you.

We set out on a short but really nice ride. The conditions were perfect. We rode some, pushed some, carried our bikes some, and descended a super slippery treacherous hill. Eventually we reached our destination.

We set up shop and got the wood stove going. It got nice and toasty in the car, it was quite the deal. We made and ate some dinner and then sat around trading stories and sharing a few laughs. It was closing in on midnight before we called it a day.

The wreck was certainly big enough for a couple people to hang out in, but not for them to sleep in. I slept just outside the car, which kind of sucked. Not so much because it was colder outside, but because the whole area was in a ravine and no matter where you went, it was sloped. Josh didn't have much luck with that aspect either.

I woke up a few times through the night because my feet had slid off the sleeping pad inside the bivy sack and started getting cold. Other than the feet the only other problem was my breath was freezing on the inside of the bivy, causing frost that melted when I breathed again and thus making my sleeping bag wet. Luckily I brought a really warm one so I never ended up getting wet.

Morning came and I was ready to get up. Josh got the fire going right off the bat and I hauled ass inside and we made and ate breakfast. We let the food sit for a bit then packed up and headed out. My gear set up was freaking ridiculous. I need to refine my system big time, but that is why we do this, to learn. It took me an extra 10 minutes or so to pack up than it took Josh.

We took off and rode for a bit before we got back to the river bottoms and rode across the swamp by 494, it was super fun. We came across some snow geese or trumpeter swans that were going ham! They were honking like it was rush hour traffic in a movie.
Eventually we made it back to our vehicles which did not get towed, that earned a big sigh of relief. After a fist bump and a handshake we parted ways and the adventure came to a close.

I had a ton of fun and learned quite a bit for my first winter bike camping trip. I can't wait to do some more!

Turning snow into water with my klean kanteen!

Gnarly deer skull.

Fully. Loaded.

Josh on the tracks.

Riding on the swamp.

Frozen river bottoms.

No comments: